Government College of Education for Women
Government College of Education has been rendering exemplary service in the field of teacher education for the past 59 years since its inception in 1956. This College has been fulfilling the aspirations of the meritorious but economically backward students belonging to rural areas. The College has the reputation of laving been visited by the former President of India. Dr. S Radhakrishnan and the former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu Thiru K. Kamaraj. The alumni of the college serve in various schools, colleges and the Department of Education of the State of Tamil Nadu. The college was started in 1956 with the purpose of promoting women’s education in the independent India. In the presence of the former Education Minister of Tamil Nadu Mr.C.Subramaniam, the Central Minister of Industry and Commerce Mr.T.T. Krishnamachari inaugurated this college. Initially there were 75 students and 7 teacher-educators. In the beginning the college was affiliated to the University of Madras. The first Principal was Mrs. N. Shanmugasundram. M.Ed. (part-time) programme was started in 1973 but it was stopped from the year 2000 following the instructions received from NCTE. M.Phil. (Part-time) and Ph.D. (part-time) were started in 1993. In 2009-10 M.Ed. (full time) programme was started with the recognition of NCTE. From 1982 to June 2007 the College functioned with affiliation to Bharathiar University. However, from July 2008 the college has been affiliated to Tamil Nadu Teachers Education University, Chennai.
* mandatory fields